Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wiki


misio diary - Oct07
Originally uploaded by mymisio.com
I think it's interesting that the name Wiki comes from the Hawaiian word wiki wiki which means something fast. That sums up what this has on offer - sites that can be added to and updated very quickly.

Some of the technical sites seem very wordy and quite daunting but I loved the Book Lovers Wiki developed by Princetown Public Library. It has great reviews and I read some of books that I know and they were all appropriate. I also found some titles to reserve on our system. I would like to think that we could use this sort of review on our website, perhaps with the reviewers identifying themselves with an alias so that if you've read and enjoyed books by one reviewer you know that you will probably enjoy other books that they've reviewed favourably.

I also think that we could use a wiki to prompt discussion of forthcoming author events that are to be held at North Shore Libraries. So often we struggle to get publicity prior to events but with this we could build up interest and enthusiasm for a visiting author. And it wouldn't cost anything!

No comments: